Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ginger Garlic Rice + Turkey Rice

Ok I have a weak point for carbs...hell what chubby girl doesn't it's always carbs and chocolate....don't you just wish these food groups were low in calorie and good for you --; I WISH!

I personally love rice, long grain, short grain, sushi/medium grain, basmati, jasmine, yellow, brown, you got rice? and I'll tell you I love it.

Here's a nice way to jazz up your rice and not add a ton of extra calories to it (YAY! woot! no extra empty calories YAY!)

First you'll need a rice cooker, yes as much as I'm all for doing rice like my grandma in Brazil I just prefer the easy way that and while you're cooking rice you can steam veggies : ) it's a win win!

Ingredients:
2 cups of rice
1 clove of garlic
about a thumb nail sized piece of peeled fresh ginger
1 Teaspoon of olive oil

In your rice cooker put in the rice and add double the water, so two cups of rice equals four cups of water.
Then add in your oil. Chop up the garlic and ginger and add to the rice, give a quick stir to make sure it spreads out in the water. And cook like you normally would.

When i'ts done you have tastey fragrant rice.

I also like to steam vegetables to mix in with it.
I tend to use broccoli or green beans.

A fun recipe I experimented with today was something I'm just going to call Turkey Rice.
It was good, I'm thinking of making a few alterations but here's what I did if you want to try my first experiment with this recipe:

First make the rice recipe above.

Then you'll need:

1 turkey breast filet

(no, not that giant breast you see in the freezer that feeds a whole family, I'm talking the kind you see by the chicken and beef by a brand like perdue that you can easily cook up in a frying pan for dinner for one to two people)

5 mushrooms diced into very small pieces
1 onion diced
1-2 Tablespoons of white wine or even mirin (sweetened sake) to coat
1 teaspoon of rubbed sage
white or black pepper (about 1/8th teaspoon)
olive oil
1 teaspoon parsley flakes

Chop up your turkey into tiny pieces, pretty much dice it. Then coat with your wine/mirin and cook in a pan with some olive oil. Once you know it's completely cooked and it's starting to get a nice golden brown color on the outside add your mushrooms and onions and sautee until they're soft. Add about 1 teaspoon of parsley flakes.

Once this is done you can add your cooked rice to it and mix it up nicely.

Then you're done it's a one dish meal for your whole family!

Should feed 3 to four people.

Since I live at home with my parents they're my personal judges. Thankfully they're brutally honest and will tell me when something is just plain terrible.

Their votes were as follows:
Mom: Liked it and will eat again
Dad: It was ok, would eat it again but thinks it needs a little something extra

So he and I think it either needs something spicey such as a bit of red pepper flakes or some sour contrast such as using the juice of a fresh lemon or lime

Try it out and tell me what you think! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment